Monday, April 9, 2012

Under the Dome, by Stephen King


I just finished Under the Dome. I usually avoid Stephen King novels like the plague, but read a review of it in the paper. The concept of a town being cut off from the rest of the world when a clear dome descends on it sounded intriguing, and it was definitely a page-turner. I kept thinking, "What next?" and never ceased to be amazed by what happened.

There were some very compelling, likable characters, but far more scummy, mean-hearted folks. I am always glad that I've never had to live in any of the towns King creates. If I were a New Englander, I'd be insulted at how he portrays New Englanders. The book certainly kept my interest and kept me on the edge of my seat which is a good thing since it was over a thousand pages!!

I've often thought that in some ways, Stephen King is an eternal eighth grader. I taught at that level for a number of years and was the assistant principal for a grade 6-8 school for an additional seven years, and much of what he writes seems to very much at that level. That being said, it really was a good story.

Submitted by a patron, Olive Branch Library

No comments:

Post a Comment