Thursday, November 13, 2014

Craft Fail : When Homemade Goes Horribly Wrong by Heather Mann


Sometimes a book is so good that we cannot help but share with the others in our back room as we open the box, receive it, catalog it, attach the call number labels, and so on. I would have to say this process of discovery is the best benefit from working with the library along with possibly seeing one to check out. This book is quite fun especially if you think Martha Stewart is a prude and couldn't hope to accomplish all those crafting projects even with a large staff. We have all laughed to the point of tears and shared our own stories of failed projects.

It made me think about the time I wanted to decorate my son's first birthday cake. I did not realize cake decorators are trained professionals with education and practice along with specialized equipment. So, I buy something in Kroger that was completely overpriced, full of chemical colorings, insufficient, inadequate, and the cake looked just as undecorated when I got finished. I was able to construct some sadly shaped leaves for Fall even though I doubted myself all the way through the process.

I think we are all a bit idealistic when undertaking a craft. More often than not, it turns out mediocre. It doesn't always speak to us the same in completion as the idea seemed so wonderful to do! Many times we cannot share success stories that will make us look so smart, so crafty. It certainly makes us realize, life is not the destination but the journey.

This book is very enjoyable and will make you enjoy your failed crafts truly more than any that turned a success! Why not look and laugh too?


by Michelle at FRL, enjoyed by Glinda, Libby, and Jenny as well

No comments:

Post a Comment